Sunday, February 14, 2010

Kozol & McIntosh talking points

1."At an elementary school that serves the neighborhood across the avenue, only 7 out of 800 children do not qualify for free school lunches."5 of those 7", says the principal"get reduced-price lunches, because they are classified as only 'poor' not 'destitute'."


I had no clue this many children were living in such bad conditions.I feel really naive for not thinking about this fact especially when New York is only about 2 hours away.


2."White privilege is like an invisible, weightless knapsack of special provisions, maps, passports, code books, visas, clothes, tools and blank checks."


This quote opened my eyes to realizing that I am part of the white privilege and although it is called a 'privilege' I almost don't want it. I feel like although we cant feel it in weight we can feel it in our hearts and minds I didn't realize just from being white I have all these tools in my 'knapsack' I really don't like trying being better than everyone else especially when i didn't even have to work for it.


3."DOA"-dead on arrival."If you walk on St.Ann's Avenue at night, you will hear the dealers call it out. It's like they're saying 'Come on over here. I'll show you how to end your life.'"


This also blew my mind poverty is so bad that some people just do want to end it all and the drug dealers don't care if they kill anyone they just want money. Doing drugs is such a vicious cycle and its sad instead of saving money for food and basic necessities people are more interested in getting high, and don't even care weather they die or not. This to me is just so sad.


These readings really opened my eyes thats for sure I honestly feel so uneducated becasue I had no clue such poverty and devistation was so close to us I mean we all learn about and see commercials for poverty in other countries but why until the kozal reading did I not know about such poverty in New York? I also was blown away by how the number of people with AIDS. These poor children know people with aids, have aids, or have lost someone from aids, and here I am not knowing a single thing about the disease besides it's an std. I feel greatful for being priveleged to have nice things and not worry about poverty but i also feel so nieve and that I have alot of learning to do. I Also learned alot from the McIntosh reading because I am now aware of how I am looked at by other races just becasue I am white. I enjoyed both of these readings easpecilly Kozal was interesting I literally couldn't put it down once I started. I couldn't imagaine being a school teacher in an area like the one talked about in Kozal's reading. I'm excited to hear everyones thoughts in class because I feel so blown away!

here is a link of an organization in NYC to help poverty check it out there's many ways to help!
http://www.robinhood.org/home.aspx

No comments:

Post a Comment