Saturday, February 27, 2010

Talking Points #3

"Gay identity was constructed around the experience of being a sexual outsider,deviant,and (quite literally) an outlaw."
I picked this quote because I dont like the fact that we associate gays as outlaws. I support gay,lesbian,trangender,and bisexual people so I dont like when someone refers to them as an outlaw because it makes the whole topic sound worst and makes it seem like its something that shouldnt be talked about when really it needs to be. These people cant be looked at in such different ways just becuse they are interested in something different. Different does not equal bad.

"One thing we can conclude from the emerging shape of community in America is that becasue it is more fragmented, it is becoming more difficult to comstruct a "public" curricilum that is broad-cades support." I chose this quote because I completly agree. Because of all the differences in America we are making it so much harder to come up with ways to teach and making the learing enviroment for glbt people impossible to feel comfortable in which is upsetting.

"The objective of classroom discourse is thur not so much to achieve consensus on the "true" or the "objective" depiction of reality, but rather to claify differences and agreements." I liked this because when teaching we have to focus and learn from students differences and not shun them or not be accepting. It is important to be openminded and welcome all student differences and not just with sexual orientation. Talking about diferences actually unites a class room and makes the learning enviorment much more enjoyable and help the students grow together ane be excepting of each other which really should be every teachers goal besides meeting academic requirements.


Click
here to look at RIC's Rainbow Alliance Club to support all sexual orientations.

6 comments:

  1. I also like your third quote. I agree with you that our goal as being teachers is to be open-minded and accept our students for who they are. If this was a goal that all teachers tried to focus on the learning experience for so many people out there would be vastly different.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i agree with your first quote; it is sad that people consider gay people outlaws. i have the same opinion as you do

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with your thrid quote but I wish it was only that easy. I wish it could be because that would make learning so much better for everyone. There always seems to be people who oppress a certain portion of the population. I like your opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i liked your third quote because i feel like we dont do this in hardly any other class...except FNED

    ReplyDelete
  5. Like the others, I liked the third quote you chose. Classrooms and schools should be open and accepting to all people and points of view, and try to represent differences in their curriculum.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I liked all of your quotes they helped me understand this article a little better.

    ReplyDelete