Sunday, April 25, 2010

Talking Points 10

"You must arouse children's curiosity and make them think about school. For example, it's very important to begin the school year with a discussion of why we go to school. "(Meier 1990) Shor used this quote then continued to explain " A school year that begins by questioning school could be a remarkably democratic and critical learning experience for students."

I liked this idea because asking a child this question really makes them think about our government and also gives them the chance to think about why school is important because their are various answers they could come up with. And like Shor said it shows the kids that we as the teacher trust them by giving them critical thinking questions where all answerer's are welcomed. When i become a teacher I am going to try and remember this for the first day of school. It is really a great way to embrace a child's curiosity.


"In a curriculum the encourages student questioning, the teacher avoids a unilateral transfer of knowledge. He or she helps students develop their intellectual and emotional powers to examine their learning in school, their everyday experience, and the conditions in society. Empowered students make meaning and act from reflection, instead of memorizing facts and values handed to them."

I chose this quote because it didn't occur to me how much encouraging questioning can really broadened kids knowledge. The school i came from i was used to memorizing facts but if I were asked more deeper questions that make me think I'm sure i would have gotten more out of my learning experience. Helping students develop intellectually and emotionally is also something important for teachers to keep in mind because sometimes they shouldn't just focus on hard facts and work but embrace questions.

"Situated, multicultural pedagogy increases the chance that students will feel ownership in their education and reduces the conditions that produce their alienation."

I chose this quote because once a student takes ownership of his or hers education school becomes easy. I know when I started high school I didn't care about my grades or attending class. But after almost being held back i really woke up and took responsibility. Once I did that i realized school was way easier than i thought I just had to put the time it deserved into it. Once a child feels alienated in school it is hard for them to succeed because they feel left out. Once a child feels like that learning can be nearly impossibly because they are too concerned with issues as to why they are alienated. This is why as a teacher it is important to engage students and make them all feel welcomed and willing to speak up.

Over all I liked Shor's article. I really liked how much he embraces asking kids questions. He did a good job organizing his thoughts which made this an easy read for me. My favorite part was chapter 2 about how the teacher being the problem poser. His examples of how to use this in the classroom were perfect and I am defiantly going to take his advice for when I am a teacher.


here is a set of questions a teacher asked her kids the first day of school. This is helpful because it makes the students really think and encourages them to speak out.

No comments:

Post a Comment